Saturday 14 January 2012

Healing soup (v)

Oof. Well I had planned to blog my healing hangover soup today anyway and it turns out that I'm 'method cooking' with a slightly sore head so I certainly need a bowlful of noodley goodness.

This soup is a well known hangover cure amongst my friends and I always ensure that I have the ingredients to hand before a big night out.
It packs a powerful chilli hit to sweat out the demon drink and also has lots of ginger and garlic to help with digestion and combat nausea. It tastes great and cooks in 5 minutes.


Recipe (Serves 2)

Ingredients:
  • 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 2 thumb sized pieces of ginger, peeled, half chopped, half matchsticked
  • 4 small hot dried chillies (more if you can take it)
  • 2 tsp sugar (palm is best)
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce
  • 2 tbsp rice wine (or dry sherry)
  • 2 tsp corn flour, mixed with a little water
  • approx 1 litre of stock (vegetable or chicken)
  • approx 250g mixed chopped vegetables (I used broccoli, sugarsnaps, carrot, spring onion, peppers)
  • handful of cashew nuts
  • 2 portions of medium dried egg noodles

Method:
  1. Heat the stock in a pan and add the garlic, ginger, chillies, sugar, soy sauce, rice wine, and cornflour and simmer while you prep the vegetables
  2. Add the noodles and cook for 4 minutes
  3. Add the vegetables, stir and cook for 1 minute
  4. Serve in deep bowls topped with the cashew nuts and extra soy sauce for those that want it.

Tips:

A handful of herbs or spinach are good in this too. Go for fresh mint, basil or coriander and put in the bottom of the bowl to wilt under the hot soup.

I usually make this a vegetarian dish but its good with prawns, or shredded chicken or cooked omlette too.

Delicious, I'm feeling better already! Drink anyone?

1 comment:

  1. This is great soup, I've eaten it on many an occasion. I don't need a hangover to enjoy it either. Thanks Matt will look forward to making some. :)

    ReplyDelete